Skindiving or free diving is a form of underwater diving that relies on divers' ability to hold their breath until resurfacing rather than on the use of a breathing apparatus such as scuba gear.
Skindiving is an experience that I believe everyone should try once. It is one of the most relaxing and adventurous hobby .pre-dive techniques place freedivers in a meditative state. Gracefully slipping underwater, freedivers hear only their heart beat. Freedivers glide effortlessly underwater, undisturbed by bulky scuba equipment.
The brief time spent underwater on a freedive is a rich and intensely beautiful experience. One of the main reasons why freediving is so popular is in the freediver’s ability to get close to marine life. With out bubbles and gliding with slow graceful movements. The freediver resembles an aquatic mammal. Fish respond to freedivers much better than scuba divers, this allows the freediver to get closer and have a more intimate experience with marine life. you will experience serenity in a Stress free environment.
Without proper training, education, and especially supervision, one small miscalculation in staying down just a little too long, or moving too much at depth could prove tragic – even fatal. Knowledgeable instructors and qualified freediving buddies must ALWAYS be used. Proper training and education is mandatory to successfully understand proper breathing techniques, proper equalizing, proper underwater motions, and proper buddy techniques – including freediver rescue. Without this specialized training the potential for ear injuries, lung injuries, and unconsciousness due to blackout is high.
• line & anchor
(please bring a towel and extra pair of cloths)
Reasons for blackouts
• Static apnea blackout occurs at the surface when a motionless diver holds his/her breath long enough for the circulating oxygen to fall below the required level for the brain to maintain consciousness. It involves no pressure changes in the body and usually happens when holding your breath longer the normal It should never be practiced alone. when practicing its best to have a buddy by your side.
• •Shallow water blackout occurs on ascent from depth when circulating oxygen stores fall below thats required to maintain consciousness. The diver is at the greatest risk of blacking out 30 ft below the surface and shallower as he ascends.
• •Surface blackout occurs when a diver with low levels of circulating oxygen has surfaced after ascending from depth and has begun breathing, yet blacks out before the inhaled oxygen has time to reach the brain.
• •Deep water blackout is uncommon but it does happen, and at depths greater than 30 ft, likely triggered by high CO2 levels and low O2
1. Why free dive?
2. How much weight should I use?
when using a weight belt and you're sinking that'll mean that your weights are too heavy. You should be floating with all your weights at the surface. the weights should make you neutral at the halfway points of the depth your diving (example) if I’m making a dive at sixty feet i should float at the surface and keep still at 30ft any deeper i should be slowly descending. Be very careful when diving deep! Remember that when you descend the oxygen in your body compresses but the weight stays the same. This mean you get much heavier at greater depths.
3. Is holding your breath bad for you?
No its not if you do it right! Of course holding it till you pass out is bad, but after know how to dive and understanding you body signs its safe.
4. What if I see a Shark?
Do not panic! Remember this is where they come from. It’s normal for them to be there. If they come close its just to satisfy their curiosity. Not very often do they come close enough to touch. If they do just push off and keep away from their mouth.
5. I’m not the most fit person. Can I still join?
Of course! Being fit is not a big deal. Almost anyone can do it. Once again unless you’re going for competitive freediving then its completely fine. You will be surprised at what your capable of doing once you learn
6 I’m a smoker! Can I still join?
Even smokers can do this. Anyone can do this!
Some people can free dive deeper and longer than the people that don’t smoke. It’s not a big deal, unless you’re trying to become a competitive free diver.
7. Where can I get my speargun fixed?AQUASMITH has lots of gun parts and tools. We can set you up with upgrades of replacement parts. AQUASMITH has a wide variety of top of the line guns and gears.
All skindiving courses are half-day approximately 4 hours long.
Grotto or beach skindive $150
Boat skindive $200（Inside reef）/（Outer-reef）is＋$10・（Far/Tinian）is＋$30 Boat Spot
Boat spot（Inside reef）：Ship wreck / Kawanishi(Emily or B-29)/ Landing Craft （Outer-reef）：Dimple / Ice cream / Oleai / Pipe （Far spots）：Naftan / Obyan /Tinian / Wing / Banzai / Spot Light
Full Gear Rental $15
*Full Gear includes speargun, mask, snorkel, socks, fins, wetsuits, weight belts, and float.
Gear Rental Full gear $15, long fins $5, and $5 each for other gear
( make sure to bring an extra pair of cloths)
After skindiving we offer a spearfishing course. this course will also teach you how to freedive deeper and stay down longer. we normally don't take first timers spearfishing. we like to teach the basics first then the rest comes easier. We also want to know skill level to determine the spearfishing spots that would best fit you.